1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

War Thunder

Discussion in 'Upcoming Games Discussion' started by Daleon, 21 Oct 2013.

1. http://warthunder.com/

Anyone tried this?
    Right now its just flying, looks like they will add tanks and ships later.

The flight mechanics change drastically from the beginner arcade mode to the adv real battles.

Started off with the newb planes you do get creamed by better planes a good bit but I've had some good battles also so its probably 60/40 plane/skill but you want to get into something better fast as possible.

2. After playing some and reading forums a little I don't recommend the US planes. Russian planes are by far the best, the mid to later level British and Japanese planes are supposedly pretty good. Definitely been nailed by quite a few spitfires. There are only a few decent US planes hopefully they get overhauled soon.

The flying and combat are pretty fun. Definitely has a WoTs feel. More depth than I expected. Don't try and jump up to one high rank plane to fast. It groups ppl based on their highest ranked plane. I had one high ranked and a bunch of base level models and was getting creamed.

3. Got a couple a bombers, they are some serious fun. Carpet bombing bases is great.

[ame]http://youtu.be/yW3qC9zXKvo[/ame]

Pretty cool trailer.

[ame]http://youtu.be/0sfA-NsbzJY[/ame]

4. Sentrosi

Sentrosi Protocol Officer Officer

Officer
    So are the bombers crewed by NPCs or can you bring along gunners?

5. NPC's. You have flight crews. You start with 3 and add more for each country you fly for. Each crew has skill bars you can increase with points you gain and eventually higher levels. You assign a plane to one of your crews. So I am guessing you level up bomber crews and fighter crews and keep those kinds of planes on those crews. Don't need gunner crew skills on fighters, etc.

You can also manually take control of a turret. NPCs once leveled up can be pretty good.

This is all in what they call arcade mode, which is fairly easy mouse flight mode for quick battles. Will be a while before I can take on the Historical battles.

I am very impressed with the performance of the game itself. Graphics are very very good. ZERO lag, haven't seen a lag spike once. Seen over 40k ppl online with thousands of battle matches going, though arcades are fairly small not sure how many ppl you get on historical battles.

If you want to see some in game action check with one of the twitch streams.

6. No one wants to try this? Its a pretty small download. F2P, if you do any of the micro-transactions the steam packs are prolly best unless you want to get the historical battle maps.

Trying out the British planes now, they pack some serious firepower in their early fighters. Puts a smile on my face everytime I blow someone out of the sky. Would love to get a CDL Squad in the air.

7. I already played this game for a bit, mostly flying american planes, but apparently they're not good so I'll have to see about switching over to russian make.

8. Pilot name is Dracowolf75.

9. GraniteRok

GraniteRok Executive Officer Officer

Officer
    Downloaded quite a while ago and only slightly looked at it. I'll have to give it another look-see.

10. Definitely have to look at it as a simulation. Takes some patience, have to get out of the early planes. Yesterday I was shooting everything down, today I can put 5 hits into a guy and not put him down and get blown out by one.

11. How does it compare to World of Warplanes?

12. Much more polished. More in depth with the planes. Much better flight mechanics and controls. Environment graphics much better. WoWPs is really pretty crappy.

13. I've made it to rank 2 for British and profile to 2 but, for the life of me, I can't work out why I can't upgrade anything with lions...

After only a few hours of play, I shudder to think how this game will be anything but pay-2-win.

14. GraniteRok

Officer
    This is becoming a quite enjoyable game. You get enough freebie credits (in "eagles") to upgrade your various country factions to levels where you're relatively competitive to others. Sure, there's some frustrating parts but overall pretty good. Kinda sucks though that you can only have four people in a squad. Hoping this gets changed.

15. So after four days of playing (and NOT doing model for my job application), I'm uninstalling the game but backing it up before I do. It's an addictive title but, at the moment, that's part of the problem.

Art positions in games industry don't stay unfilled for very long, and if I miss out because of playing another MMO, I certainly will not be happy; best to remove the temptation and get to work.

16. judging from the forums I picked the wrong day to try this game

at least I get a good frame rate though

17. GraniteRok

Officer
    Ya, new patch went through. Some good changes, some... well not so good. It doesn't change my thoughts on the game, still fun to play. Some of the changes have made various aircraft quite OP and some are taking advantage of that but they'll get nerfed...eventually. It'll depend on the rank level you're flying in.

Not a fan of the reduction in the ranking structure. I think it makes it too general now and you can get out matched by some with considerably better aircraft. The research system is completely different and takes a little getting used to. I'm iffy on that change. Kinda ok with it but then I liked the old system too. Graphics changes are awesome though.