1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

We Want You to be a Space Cowboy!

Discussion in 'Upcoming Games Discussion' started by DonkeySmiler, 21 Jun 2006.

1. DonkeySmiler

DonkeySmiler Eater of Gnomish Persons DragonWolf

[​IMG]
    Yes the logo actually shows up to everyone in-game.... cannot believe no other game (that I have played) has included this feature. Screw pre-made decals.

[​IMG]
    This picture shows off the comment you can add once you hit level 30.... Now tell me seeing that doesn't make you smile :) (the blue is kinda blocked, but it says 'honor' - duh)

Anyways, this is my (lame) attempt to motivate more CDL to download and try this free game. Did I mention it was free? Well it is..... free. It takes the crown as the best free game I have played up until this point.

Why should you try this game?
    Space Cowboys is an arcade style flight simulator with mmorpg elements and a decent pvp system. Your character levels up and you get loot in the form of standard weapons (machine guns), advance weapons (missles), radars, engines, computers, and other stuff that can be used to craft new armor and health/shield/fuel packs. You also have skills that you can use to aid you in combat.

The things I like about the game:
    Nation War. There are two sides that are constantly in a state of conflict. There are many different zones and they start out at the cities with a newbie zone right next to that and then they get progressively higher in level and finally the two sides meet. In other words, it is possible to fly to the other side's city, but it would be a suicide mission. :D What doe sthis all mean? If you are newbie, you are relatively safe from getting attacked, but the risk is there, and gets progressively higher the closer you get to the other side's zones. I got my first pvp kill this evening when some punk locked on to me while I was hunting mobs. He made a break for the warp but must have thought I didn't give chase because he didn't warp away.... but I did give chase around a mountain, and I swooped in behind him and unleashed all I had.... he went boom.

You get a fame point for each pvp kill and a mark that can be sold. The higher the rank of the opponent, the more the mark is worth. Beyond that, pvp kills affect the greater focus of your nation. There is a running tally of all the side's kills and at certain intervals different things happen like mother ships spawn and what not. So pvp isn't pointless.

I also like that there is rarely any grinding.... You almost always have a mission to work on.

I would love to see a formation (party) of CDL flying together and pounding our way deep into enemy territory. :D

*note - I don't think this is the answer to all our gaming prayers.... but I think we could have some fun with it as a group.

If you have any questions, feel free to respond to this thread. I know for some the game has not worked, if this is the case you may want to check the game's forums for a possible fix.

Download Now!

*also there is a bit of a learning curve with the game, just in that there is so much going on it seems, and the lack of a search function on there forums doesn't help. I will post a list of tips I have learned through trial and error :)

Last edited: 21 Jun 2006
  2. Manitou

Manitou Old War Horse DragonWolf

Downloading now...

3. DonkeySmiler

:thumbsup:

*edit - It appears I cannot invite anyone into the brigade until they have gotten to level 11 and declared their loyalties to the Bygeniou army.

Don't fret, levelling up in this game is fast

4. WarWolf

WarWolf DragonWolf DragonWolf

I also downloaded it. So far it seems fun but I have to admit I'm slightly confused. How do I get fuel for one. Probably missed something simple. Any tips would be appreciated. I'm flying under the name Demus and Nikademus.

5. DonkeySmiler

Yeah tommorrow I will try and compile some tips that make life easier.... fuel can be bought from the supply menu that pops up when you get back to town after each mission, or at a supply depot out in the field by pressing 'c' to land on it, or at the supply shp in town. It is the bottom thing you can buy.

One tip is to only buy bullets, missles, and fuel... the other stuff (energy, shield, skill points) will regen on its own and it is costly to buy it. So when you resupply, only buy the bottom three things.

There are a number of things that ssem confusing at first, but once you know what is going on it actually seems rather intuitive.

*edit - This site is really helpful: http://www.sco-fans.com/

6. WarWolf

WarWolf DragonWolf DragonWolf

Thanks Donkey.

7. Ho ho, addicted already eh?

8. I'll download later tonight.

9. Sentrosi

Sentrosi Protocol Officer Officer

Officer
    I think I"m level 8 or 9 right now. Been playing as I have the time. It's fun. Would love to get some advanced missiles and guns though. Shooting down mobs while pinging them for only 5 or 6 damage sorta sucks.

10. DonkeySmiler

Have you checked the weapons shop for an upgrade? Unfortunantly, until a person reaches level 11 and chooses a side in the war, they cannot be traded with (the game is really strict with the whole war thing apparently). Once you hit 11 though I can give you money to upgrade.

I've also gotten some really nice weapons as drops.... they just are kind of rare because half the time you get weapons/drops that are for the other gears :(

11. I'm downloading it now, I'll install it when I get home from work. Also, anyone still play Guild Wars?

12. Sentrosi

Sentrosi Protocol Officer Officer

Officer
    Yeah. I got a couple Twin launchers for A-gears. Actually, I got a crap load of A-gear crap I just sold.

I'm tenth level now. Also, I created 2 more characters; WyldKaarde and Syrine. Haven't leveled them yet, I just wanted to have those names in place.

13. Remember, under the mission menu there are multiple tabs. There are side missions and secondary missions, which basically gives you money, lots of money.

14. DonkeySmiler

Ouro, for someone who plays this game, you never seem to play this game :) What times you usually get on?

Last edited: 22 Jun 2006
  15. I haven't played for a bit, reformatted my computer, need to reinstall the game.

16. I hit 27 last night/early morning, when are you usually on Donkey?

17. DonkeySmiler

Usually in the afternoon and late at night..... things have been a bit hectic as of late so playtimes have been sporadic :(

18. the levelling in this game is surprisingly quick. I play late afternoon to early evening.

19. Seems pretty fun, up to level 4. Does it have joystick support?

20. DonkeySmiler

Here is a screenshot of the other night's raid someone posted on the official forums:
    [​IMG]
    There I am! :D

This was the gathering before the raid:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 29 Jun 2006