1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

WHO NEEDS OCULUS RIFT WHEN YOU CAN BUILD YOUR OWN VR HEADSET

Discussion in 'General Open/Public Discussion' started by NuclearMessiah, 24 Apr 2014.

1. WHO NEEDS OCULUS RIFT WHEN YOU CAN BUILD YOUR OWN VR HEADSET
    By Williams Pelegrin — April 23, 2014
    [​IMG]
    It isn’t commercially available yet, but the Oculus Rift is already a hit. Having sold 85,000 Oculus Rift prototype units so far, the virtual reality headset has been nothing short of a success. Even so, not everyone can afford the $350 price tag the latest developer kit carries. But what if you could have something similar to the Oculus Rift while paying remarkably less than $350?

A YouTube user named Ohaple has published instructions on how to make a head-mounted display that uses an iPhone or Android device as an external mirrored monitor. Once you build them, you can use your computer to play stereoscopic 3D games, which include Oculus Rift titles, game modifications, or even games compatible with TriDef 3D, a program that takes 2D games and plays in stereoscopic 3D. As for head-tracking, the do-it-yourself VR headset uses an LED to control your character’s head position in-game.

The point is to mimic the benefits of Oculus Rift without spending anywhere near $350. Constructing your own VR headset will cost somewhere between $20-$50, depending on how you source the needed parts and how meticulous you want to be. And if you are lazy and don’t want to build one from scratch, you can opt for the Durovis Drive.

The do-it-yourself Oculus building guide was written on Road to Virtual Reality and has a companion video. Ohaple also uploaded a follow-up video that uses gyroscopic tracking rather than LED tracking, which adds a higher level of responsiveness. While incorporating gyroscopic tracking tacks on $10-$20 to the total amount you’d be spending on a makeshift VR headset, it still doesn’t come close to $350.

You can view the LED tracking version below, with the gyroscopic tracking version further down.

DT

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/needs-oculus-rift-can-build-vr-headset/#ixzz2zp7Davjx
    Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

2. Might give it a shot for fun, can't hurt for $20.

3. Lunar

Lunar Development Officer Officer

Officer
    Interesting...on a side note

CAPS LOCK IS THE CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL :drunk:

4. Zib

Zib

THATS WHAT I HEARD!

5. GraniteRok

GraniteRok Executive Officer Officer

Officer
    Interesting....

AND CAPSLOCK MAKES MY EYES BLEED!

6. IF YOUR EYES ARE BLEEDING...HOW DO YOU SEE TO TYPE!?

7. GraniteRok

GraniteRok Executive Officer Officer

Officer
    Lower based life forms need to see to type. I don't... Grade 9 school typing class. :p

8. Lunar

Lunar Development Officer Officer

Officer
    Even more interesting topics in this thread.....
    We now know that schools existed when granite was younger....who knew, schooling of that caliber existed in the 1500s :p

9. Sentrosi

Sentrosi Protocol Officer Officer

Officer
    FTFY

10. IT WASN'T TYPING CLASS, THEY WERE CHISILING IT ON STONE TABLETS!!!!

yes I went there

11. Traceroute

Traceroute DragonWolf

LOL THAT IS FUNNY BECAUSE I HEAR GRANITE IS OLD!

12. SGTHACK

SGTHACK DragonWolf

Myself and Granite were hammering out letters on stone tablets when you all were just thoughts...

13. Kulf

Kulf DragonWolf

Y'know y'all are bunch of fun forks, I'm sure I'll enjoy playing with you guys in SC.