1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

World of Starcraft

Discussion in 'Upcoming Games Discussion' started by Hyncharas, 1 Apr 2006.

1. Now that everybody here (nearly) has been battered to death with a Murloc playing World of Warcraft, Blizzard Entertainment announced yesterday to Gamespot that all their mistakes plan to be solved in their upcoming title, World of Starcraft:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/worldofstarcraft/news.html?sid=6146918

Now before - much at this distain of Manitou and other clan-leaders here - I am completly put off the idea of WoW for the same reason I've always been with Warhammer Online: I generally hate medieval, onllne flicks that don't have real-time combat in them. In fact, I try to avoid all MMORPGs altogether if I can, simply because they are boring and remind me of the tiring battles in Neverwinter Nights.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Starcraft franchise as an RTS and pray that Starcraft: Ghost or something similar is released in the future, but the real question is if this online title will be better (or a whole lot worse) than their first try at the MMO-scene.

...in the event that WoS actually is everything that Blizzard are promising it to be, and people here are interested in it come-Beta, however, I may consider looking it up. No promises, though.

2. Ingwë

Ingwë DragonWolf<BR>The Goose!

April fools!

3. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    Dumbest holiday ever.

4. :(

Last edited: 2 Apr 2006
  5. Sputters

Sputters DragonWolf<br>Invisible Shorts<br>AKA Black DragonWolf

WTB Starcraft MMO :(

6. That won't be anything like WoW.

7. Sputters

Sputters DragonWolf<br>Invisible Shorts<br>AKA Black DragonWolf

It could very easily be like WoW but would be best in FPS type. Either case i would buy it if it was an RPG or FPS because i love the starcraft story...a lot :p (terran > all)

8. Starcraft MMOFPS ftw!!!

9. if they made an MMOFPS for Starcraft, I really would pay to play it :)

10. Sentrosi

Sentrosi Protocol Officer Officer

Officer
    The only problem I see is that a Vivendi official said this. Until Blizzard comes right out and says, "Oh hey, remember that proverbial carrot we've been dangling in front of all PC gamers for about a billion years? Remember Starcraft: Ghost? Well, we've decided to release the details of our newest game, World of Starcraft. Oh, and in Starcraft, there won't be any Murlocs."

11. Asp

Asp Administrative Officer Officer

Officer
    There will be VORACIOUS CYBORG-MURLOCS

.. and if my work laptop weren't such a piece of crap, i'd actually photoshop something for you all.. Just imagine the metallically distorted murloc gurgle, with a touch of darth vader rebreather inbetween.. :p

12. Sentrosi

Sentrosi Protocol Officer Officer

Officer
    In the words of Darth Vader...."NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

[/lamestmovielinedonebytheultimateevilpersonever]

13. Last edited: 15 Jun 2006
  14. Blizzard Responds to MMO Rumor
    The developer has something to say about yesterday's hubbub.
    by Daemon Hatfield
    June 14, 2006 - Yesterday a rumor was making the rounds (and causing quite a stir) that Blizzard was planning MMOGs for all their franchises and had a model to produce a new game in three years. The speculation was met with shrieks of delight as well as a lot of nay saying.

We now have an official response from Blizzard. What does the WoW developer have to say on the matter?

"No, that rumor is not true in regard to Blizzard. We believe that the rumor circulating about this subject is based on a misinterpretation of information provided to industry analysts. We do not currently have any MMO development plans beyond the upcoming expansion for World of Warcraft, and furthermore, we don't have any intentions to focus on only one genre or platform with our future games."

So there you have it. While not exactly crushing the world's dreams for a World of Starcraft, it does send the excitement of yesterday in for a cold shower. From a business stand point, it could be seen as insane for Blizzard NOT to pursue the IV of money these games would provide. But for now, we'll have to take their word for it.

SO THERE YOU HAVE IT!!!!!

15. Besides, they would never call it world of starcraft, since there would be more than one planet. It would be something catchy, like Sector of Starcraft (to have people call is SoS). Or maybe they will make 2 more starcraft games before releasing a starcraft MMO. The rumor sounded like BS in the first place.

16. you gotta be aking yourself sometimes "what exactly is their problem?", other than the fact that Vivendi - gods of everything stupid in gaming - is their primary shareholder.