1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

WoW beta to start soon :D

Discussion in 'Upcoming Games Discussion' started by Firez, 17 Mar 2004.

1. I'm in.

I've got the clan name DraconisLupus created. I am playing in a guild with my friend from Blizzard and some other industry hacks (ShadowCrown is the guild), but DraconisLupus exists and I can at least make new officers. I can also dissolve the guild and do a different name if people prefer. It is an Alliance guild at the moment, as we don't have the ability to play horde at this time. The Horde or Alliance decision is best made once we have the opportunity to try both, IMO, but I like Alliance a lot so far.

2. DonkeySmiler

DonkeySmiler Eater of Gnomish Persons DragonWolf

I've said it before, I'll say it again.... you lucky SOB! lol

Give us a quick synapsis of what you think so far.

3. Ingwë

Ingwë DragonWolf<BR>The Goose!

Well here is what I have found. The beta installer has been leaked (very fast), however you cannot connect to the server because obviously you needed to have registered. However, there is a great thing called Stormcraft. Stormcraft is a "cracked" server. To connect to this server all you have to do is download the login loader and connect to the server which will allow you to play the game. But at the moment there is no server ready yet for beta, however that will be ready soon. Also take note that Stormcraft is no where near as close to Blizzard's actual beta test. It is better than nothing, and it also gives a general idea of the game play.

I'll put an update once the servers are up.

4. Quickly: So far it's not a radical new direction in MMORPGs--it is fun, but not nearly so different as Blizzard has been declaring, but new things are bound to show up every few weeks. It's a beta so it still crashes periodically, but overall the performance is rather smooth. The poly count of most models is suprisingly low, but the graphics have great character and lots of color and variety, fantastic atmosphere abounds in most places, and everything has a very distinct style.

Leveling so far is predominantly quest driven, and there are lots of quests, but I don't see any really unique quest types that I haven't seen in other MMORPGs. Hunters and Druids aren't available yet, and the tradeskill system doesn't seem to be complete.

The level cap is 30 at the moment, so I'm not sure what it looks like beyond that. I managed to get in a touch early due to connections, and three weeks of moderate playtime has gotten me to 27 with a main and 14 and 10 with my two main alts (10 takes maybe 5 solid hours of play). One thing is for sure: the level balance is EXTREMELY tight, so at level 27 I'm kicking the ass of things I could barely hit at level 24, even with the same weapons. Combat is currently being reworked, however, so that could be symptomatic of the state of things.

It's a lot of sweet with some sour, but again, it's Beta so there is development yet to occur. I'm also in a foul mood today because of the job search so I may not be as generous as I should be.

Last edited: 23 Mar 2004
  5. I don't think its going to be revolutionary game but its surely different. DAoC was getting close with the "epic" quests but having a game with thousands of quests used(as a primary use that is) to lvl you up is a big step. Most other mmorpg's I see the XXXXXXhackXXXXXXXslashXXXXXXcastXXX.....

its quite fun playin with you guys and the othe quests that it has but IMO still lacking the "please use our content to lvl you completely" methode.

Sounds like fun and if you get a chance, you luck SoB, lemme borrow your account for like 2 days or use your "blizzard friend" to get me a beta account :D

6. God I cant wait till I can start playing. LEGALLY might I add.

7. Ingwë

Ingwë DragonWolf<BR>The Goose!

Well the things in WoW were new four years ago when they announced the game. Though like most games. Time caught up with it, and now every thing that was "revolutionary" is now common in most MMORPGs. Though I'm still interested in how the game turns out.

8. is it too late to sign up?

-- and/or "play" ;)

Last edited: 24 Mar 2004
  9. yep....signups were in january and are already closed :(

10. What about 'play'... from what I read there may be a *cough* way around it?

11. think you need to look to Legend for that

12. /me looks at Legend