1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

YouTube

Discussion in 'General Open/Public Discussion' started by Ground Chuk, 19 Feb 2008.

1. Well of course he's not in debt. When you don't spend the millions and millions that the major contenders spend, you won't be. If Ron Paul were running a comparable national campaign, he'd be in debt too. And, for the record, all of the campaigns have cash on hand (Obama, for example, had $24m as of January, and only $1m in debt.)

When I see those signs advertising Ron Paul, I get kind of upset. Why? Because someone wasted the idea of highlighting the backwards "love" in R"evol"ution for the Ron Paul campaign. I can think of about 5 other international organizations who could benefit from that slogan so much more. Why is RP's campaign even doing that? I can see that his followers are enamored with him, and that he has lots of ideas, but is RP himself running on a platform of love? Has he ever even actually talked about "love"? As a person who dabbles in marketing and advertising... that's such a waste of a good slogan.

2. symen

symen DragonWolf

That kind of bugged me about Paul's campaign. He had enough cash that he could have won in New Hampshire, and possibly ridden the momentum to the nomination, but he barely campaigned there. With a better campaign manager, he could have done really well -- he was the only Republican candidate with any sort of enthusiasm behind him.

I would hope that Obama would have cash on hand, considering the number of people who have donated to his campaign. If he's managed to spend it all already, he's doing it wrong.

It's a sixties throwback thing. :rolleyes:

Sometimes I think that the way we should run our elections is for the money donated to the campaigns to be used to print lawn signs, which they can then sell back to us to put in our lawns. Then, on election day, we just count up all the signs, and the one with the most signs wins. :p

3. Manitou

Manitou Old War Horse DragonWolf

Why is it that we can vote "Yes" for a candidate but not "No"? I wish we could vote "No" for someone and if that candidate got enough "No" votes they couldn't hold office.

As it stands, I don't want to vote "Yes" for anyone who appears to be ready to gain the nominations. Why am I forced to place a vote for someone I do not wish to see in office?

Let us vote "No"! :D

4. I am having fun watching and listening to Ron Paul spending to protect his Congressional seat. I see local signs and ads where he never bothered to run before. But his record has the locals seriously looking at alternatives for his seat. Its is very difficult to beat an incumbent, but Paul's record and statements and positions have made him vulnerable. Now the discussions include the question can he spend presidential campaign monies on congressional campaining?

I still think this is the year of none of the above, and we all deserve better. Our children and the rest of the world deserve better solutions than are being considered today if you hold us responsible for the current batch of politicians and special interests running the world ( and I am beginning to believe we are getting exactly what we deserve in political representation since we have allowed it so long). I am being forced now to consider voting for people because they are less bad than the alternative???????

5. Ground Chuk

Ground Chuk BANNED

Something you seem to not understand.

Ron Paul's Campaign DID NOT start the Re'love'lution thing. It was the GRASSROOTS.

You do know what GRASSROOTS is, right?

Most of Ron Paul's campaign was run by grassroots. He really didn't even think it was time for his message to come out.

Yes, his campaign people did a shoddy job, and leaned on the grassroots way to much. But that's what you get with politics. People wanting to make a name for themselves, while pretending to work for another.

But you cannot deny the message Ron Paul has, or the Revolution he has started.

And, no, he can't spend the money donated to his Presidential Nomination on his Congressional running...he has said that.

How anyone could even think Ron Paul would use money that is specifically for one thing on another is unbelievable. Now McCain...well, that is a bit different, as he is in hot water with the FEC and his application for Public Funds, which he now says he doesn't need to follow those rules.

And Obama has flipped on his "If I'm nominated, I will only spend $85 million on my campaign if the Repub agrees to the same" pledge. Flip flop, say this do that. It's all good.

It's real easy to find Ron Paul's voting history. Compare that to the others. Perhaps saying this, then doing that is kind of telling, but the way one ACTUALLY VOTES should be a more telling tale.

6. Ground Chuk

Ground Chuk BANNED

Oh, and as far as "special interests"....do you know WHY Ron Paul is called Dr. No?

Lobbyist don't even come to his door, as they know his answer, "NO".

7. Ground Chuk

Ground Chuk BANNED

About the Congressional Seat. Is it any wonder people are rethinking Republicans? What have they done, besides becoming more Democrat like?

The current Republicans in seats of power have shown very bad decisions. What was it Bush just said about gas going to $4.00 a gallon? "I hadn't heard that. That's interesting. I do know it is high."

DUUUHHHHH And people wonder why a party switch is happenning? Why any Republican, no matter how Conservative they actually are is coming under fire?

But what I find repulsive is that people are just too stupid to do any research.

You know what, gravity sucks, but if it didn't, we'd all fly off the Earth. Sometimes it works for us, sometimes it doesn't. Doesn't mean gravity as a whole is bad, just because you can't fall off a tall building and survive.

Some would say "If you don't vote, you can't complain" George Carlin proved them wrong by saying "I didn't vote for any of them, so I can!".

I'm voting for Ron Paul, so when it starts to suck more than it does now, I can say "I voted Ron Paul. If you didn't, it IS your fault".

8. symen

symen DragonWolf

As I see it, the Republicans are getting ousted for two reasons: The primary reason I think is the PATRIOT Act and all of its ilk -- Americans really don't like Congress fiddling around with fundamental Constitutional principles. Since the 1950's and Joe McCarthy, that's a pretty Republican thing to be doing, honestly -- the Democrats haven't tried to screw with the Constitution too much since Roosevelt. Woodrow Wilson was pretty good at it (President Bush reminds me a lot of Wilson, actually), but political parties in 1912 have little similarity to their counterparts today beyond the labels.

The secondary, though still important, reason is the profligate deficit spending when the Republicans controlled the Congress. Americans are largely fiscally conservative, though in an irresponsible sort of way (I'll get to that shortly), and they don't have a lot of patience for the sort of overspending the Republican Congress was engaging in. This is slightly more of a Democratic thing than the primary reason, given that Democrats happily overspend too, but as I pointed out earlier in the thread, raising taxes and running up huge budget deficits is a much more Republican thing to do, despite their bloviating to the contrary (though the Democrats don't get a free pass on budget deficits, which I'll also explain shortly). President Bush is actually the first Republican president in quite a long time who hasn't raised taxes, for which I give him credit, but I think he should have held the line on spending when the bills he signed came from his own party, he looks like a stubborn, partisan asshat when he tries to do it now -- as admirable as the effort may be, it's transparently too little, too late.

Another uphill battle that the Republicans have is that important parts of their core agenda are wildly unpopular (this is the part about American fiscal conservatism). When they took control of Congress for the first time in 50 years in 1994, they started a platform of ending Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid, all of those big entitlement programs (Newt Gingrich, as Speaker of the House, was largely responsible for this shift). The idea is nothing new, though they're more civilized about it now; there was a Depression-era plot to overthrow the federal government as a reaction to Roosevelt's New Deal programs. One of my personal heroes, Major General Smedley Butler of the United States Marine Corps, who was the most decorated Marine in history at the time of his death, personally foiled the plot. But, I digress. The problem for the Republican Party is that the programs they want to eliminate were quite popular in 1994, and are overwhelmingly popular now. Americans love those programs. They love the idea of cutting taxes, but they don't want to cut the programs that eat the lion's share of those taxes. This is basically why the military is sent overseas with inadequate body armor and such, irresponsible fiscal conservatism has to cause a problem somewhere.

For the record, I support the elimination of Social Security, along with a Constitutional amendment banning the government from ever assigning any unique identifier to any citizen, to curb the abuse caused by that stupid number. Medicare/Medicaid need to be reconfigured or eliminated too, none of the Democratic candidates harping about fixing health-care is talking about the real problem, which is that the entire set of laws and programs are set up as welfare for the biomed industry. I doubt they'll fix that one, either.

I also promised to explain why the Democrats don't get a free pass on budget deficits: In recent history, Democrats have presided over decreased budget deficits, while Republicans have presided over wildly increasing deficits. Some of that is fiscal responsibility, to be sure. However, most of the reason is that the economy historically does much better under Democratic presidents than it does under Republican presidents. This has nothing to do with the economic policy of either party; they mostly leave it alone, which is a good thing (though the giant handout that the folks in DC recently orchestrated as an "economic stimulus package" is frankly, moronic). It has to do with the fact that the relative health of the economy has much more to do with the perception of its relative health than anything else. The economy is overwhelmingly driven by consumer spending, so its relative health is overwhelmingly related to how likely consumers are to spend. Consumers spend more when they perceive the economy to be strong, which drives the economy to actually be strong. It's not rocket science.

Now, this hurts the Republicans in two ways: First, and foremost, historically there are just a lot more registered Democrats than registered Republicans, almost twice as many. When their guy is in office, they feel more confident in his economic policy, and by extension, in the economy. As I pointed out above, this has nothing to do with reality, and everything to do with perception, but perception drives the economy. Second, Republicans tend be more hawkish and beat the war drums a lot harder when they're in office. Wars evoke perceptions of global unrest, bad times, etc., which causes reduced consumer spending unless there are other mitigating factors. During the Iraq war, the Federal Reserve cut interest rates to historic lows, to stimulate the credit market as a mitigating factor, but as we're seeing now, that doesn't work forever.

I give the President a pass on this one. Really, when was the last time he even drove a car, let alone put gas in one? He gets chauffeured everywhere he goes as part of his job. He came across as uninformed when he said it (which he really is good at), but I can forgive him for not being up to date on gasoline futures. He's got plenty of other stuff to worry about, after all.

9. Ground Chuk

Ground Chuk BANNED

That all makes sense, and most of it is true. But I'm talking about REAL change. Getting government out of our lives.

Both the Dem Noms talk about change. Yea, more taxes. There is no way their proposals will work without serious taxes.

Hil's UHC. How will that work? Why should I, through my taxes, pay for someone who makes, let's just go low here, $300,000 a year? Sure, they pay, but my taxes will help pay for theirs. Hil's package calls for mandatory health care for all.

Obama's claim that the working families will pay around $1,000 less a year in taxes. Ain't going to happen. His UHC will be sure of that, along with his "Unionized America" where everyone makes at least $14.00 an hour. Small businessess will go out of business, so less taxes being paid....viscious circle.

None of them are looking at cutting government spending. Their proposals, even McCain's, make MORE government.

That isn't REAL CHANGE. REAL CHANGE would be Americans depending on THEMSELVES MORE and government LESS.

But, since we are so indoctrinated to rely on government, people like to hear "What your GOVERNMENT can do for you", not realizing the more they do, the more they take. "Country" has been taken out of the whole scenario. "Americans" has been taken out of the scenario. It's just a bunch of greedy people, throughout the whole deal, civilians and government, fighting to get what they can for themselves, with the least amount of work possible. "I've been slighted, give me what they worked for"..."People in your neighborhood need your money, so we will take it from you."

Responsibility in America is one of those "bad words", isn't "politically correct" and shouldn't even be mentioned.

You want CHANGE? Then make people RESPONSIBLE. THAT would be REAL CHANGE.

10. symen

symen DragonWolf

I'm with you on getting the government out of our lives. :)

The Democrats talk big about change, but they're pushing the same unimaginative crap that they've been pushing since the New Deal. I plan on voting for Obama if he gets the nomination though, because as much as his platform sucks, it's less damaging to the country than the misbegotten "National Security" agenda the Republicans are pushing.

To be fair, I haven't seen anything from either Clinton or Obama that costs any more than a month's worth of Iraq. As far as tax increases, that's probably going to happen sometime. At this point, we've borrowed so much money from China and run up such a huge deficit to pay a billion dollars a day for our Middle Eastern adventures that we'll need to either cut spending drastically or raise taxes drastically to pay it all back (I prefer the 'cut spending' option myself).

Clinton's health care plan is actually pretty much identical to Mitt Romney's plan in Massachusetts (it was quite humorous watching him bash it at the debates). More unimaginative nonsense.

The "Why should my taxes pay for X?" thing is a common Republican meme, and it's a non-starter. I do understand the sentiment, I'm not happy about my tax dollars going to Iraq (which is most of the Federal budget lately), among other things, as I just don't see the value in messing around over there. However, taxes are part of living in our society, and part of using a common monetary system. We're always free to opt out of that monetary system if we don't like paying the taxes on it. We do get to dictate the tax rates and what the taxes are spent on, as our representatives in Congress ultimately decide that, and they work for us, but every other American voter also gets to dictate that, so, individually, we're not always happy with the results.

First, did you know that, in the 1950's, when our economy was at its peak strength, union membership was at its peak, minimum wage was close to $14.00/hour adjusted for inflation, and the highest tax bracket was 90%? I'm not saying that they are necessarily good ideas (actually, they largely aren't), but the idea that his changes would destroy the economy is laughable. Besides, Obama can't legislate as President, he'd have to talk the Congress into it if he wanted to implement any of it. Oh, wait, he actually could implement some of it with all of those unprecedented powers the Republican idiots in Congress and the Supreme Court pushed through for President Bush. The morons are going to regret that when they don't control the White House anymore.

"Even McCain"? You seem to persist in holding the perception that Republicans are more likely to cut government spending, when it's the reverse. You know all the "stay in Iraq for a hundred years if necessary" talk (a billion dollars a day for a hundred years is 36.5 quadrillion dollars, about 20% of our GDP over the same period, not counting inflation -- though GDP would probably grow at about the same rate, based on past behavior), that pro-life agenda requires enforcement (which costs), immigration/border control requires enforcement (has anyone thought of the number of INS agents needed to locate and deport 12 million illegal immigrants?), the War on Drugs eats up billions of dollars a year, yet the party claims to be fiscally conservative because they complain loudly about the two-percent edge-cases that happen to be spent on domestic welfare programs. I agree with the sentiment, but when they complain about those and are fine with all of the other waste, they give the appearance of being hypocritical, self-centered assholes.

This is one of the reasons why I was supporting Ron Paul until it became obvious that he wasn't going to win -- he was self-consistent, and actually did want to reduce the size of government. It really revealed to me how borderline-evil the Republican party has become, given how badly the party treated him.

So, the choice this time around has been reduced to happy-go-lucky morons or evil bastards. Not great, but I'm going with the morons for now.

Agreed.

11. Ground Chuk

Ground Chuk BANNED

There is NO WAY I could even think of voting Obama.His gun stance is WAY out there.

He wants to make a National law prohibiting CCW (except for (ex)police, (ex)military).

He also wants to outlaw ALL semi-automatic firearms.

Our income tax is basically only paying for the interest on the National Debt.

If people had REALLY looked into things, instead of just voting the way the media said they should vote, we would have had someone to actually vote for, instead of the "lesser evil".

By the way....Ron Paul crushed his Congressional Seat opponent.

12. symen

symen DragonWolf

Do you have a source for this? The only reference I found on his website to guns is this:

"Respect the Second Amendment: Millions of hunters own and use guns each year. Millions more participate in a variety of shooting sports such as sporting clays, skeet, target, and trap shooting that may not necessarily involve hunting. As a former constitutional law professor, Barack Obama understands and believes in the constitutional right of Americans to bear arms. He will protect the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase, own, transport, and use guns for the purposes of hunting and target shooting."

This is from a PDF linked at http://www.barackobama.com/issues/additional/. I do notice that he doesn't say anything about self-defense or concealed-carry, so what I found doesn't really disprove your concern. However, based on where it's linked on his site, it seems to me that it just isn't an issue that he cares all that much about.

However, I'm not trying to get you to vote for Obama, or anyone else -- if you can't vote for him based on his stances on the issues, I would encourage you to vote for a different candidate who more closely matches your views. Hell, I don't agree with him on many issues, I can hardly fault you for the same. I'm only supporting him out of a more or less complete hatred of what the Republican Party has become (look at how the party treated Paul), he seems to be the best shot at throwing them out of the White House at this point.

In my earlier posts, I'm simply trying to correct what I perceive to be misconceptions regarding some of the things you posted.

Mostly, yes. The scary thing is that we've borrowed about the equivalent of our GDP from China. Essentially, the country is broke.

Actually, I think it's more likely that you and I would prefer a candidate who would be liked by a distinct minority of Americans. There's real enthusiasm on the Democratic side for both of their candidates. There's more, I think, for Obama, his support actually reminds me a lot of the following that Ronald Reagan had in 1980. Clinton even has a lot of support, surprisingly enough, though that seems to come primarily from the old guard of the Democratic Party. They have had huge, record breaking primary turnouts though, that has to be indicative of some sort of enthusiasm. Whether this follows through November is anyone's guess, though.

I heard that yesterday, and while it's not surprising that an incumbent Republican in Texas won his primary, I still think it's great -- we need more like him in Congress.

13. Ground Chuk

Ground Chuk BANNED

If you notice, he says to protect Americans rights to hunt and target shoot. He does not mention self defense.

Here is a link to some of his gun stances.

http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Barack_Obama_Gun_Control.htm

He is being very careful about what he says these days, as he knows gun control is a very sensitive area.

If you take what he says now, about Americans able to own guns for hunting and target shooting and read between the lines, from what he has said before, he means that shotguns and single fire rifles (hunting, target shooting) and possibly revolvers (some do hunt with them, and target shooting) are ok. He will eventually, if elected, go after semi-autos as they have no real use in hunting and target shooting.

What he fails to realize is that the Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting and target shooting. It is about self defense from enemies foreign and DOMESTIC, including our own government.

The Japanese didn't invade America because, as a Commander in the Japanese Military stated, "There will be an American with a gun behind every blade of grass".

14. Ground Chuk

Ground Chuk BANNED

Obama, as a person isn't that bad of a person. Problem is, he wants to use his position to further his agenda. I don't have a problem with someone following their heart or emotions, but when they use the government to force those FEELINGS on the rest of the population...that's when I have a problem.

Judges are there to rule by the LAW, not what makes them feel good. Granted, most show compassion, but when it comes down to what the LAW says, most bow to it.

Obama doesn't want these judges on the Supreme Court. He wants those that will rule as to how THEY FEEL. LAW be damned. So, basically, he wants our SC to rule the way they FEEL, and not abide by the LAW, yet us "citizens" are to follow the LAW, no matter what we FEEL.

http://weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/014/849oyckg.asp

Here is an excerpt...
    I thought an SC Judge would be one who adheres strictly to the Constitution. Not OBAMA'S CONSTITUTION, but the CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES.

Realize that an appointment does not need to be a judge or even a lawyer. It's whomever the President wants to appoint.

Whether it goes through is another story, but something to think about if Obama gets in there.

15. symen

symen DragonWolf

I did notice that, yes. It's an interesting omission.

Good information, I hadn't seen that. Great site...

Yeah, he doesn't want to ruffle too many feathers. I would expect that of any Democratic candidate. Republicans are another matter, they have to be polarizing to some degree because of the broader spread of views within their party, and the party's greater distance from the center. But I digress.

Possibly. From everything he's said recently, I don't think guns are a high-priority issue for him one way or the other, so I'm really not very worried about it. I tend to watch Congress more closely on issues like this, any changes in the law have to start there.

Yes and no. They referenced militias in the first clause, but the second part clearly says "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed". Therefore, it's about the government at any level having no say whatsoever over your keeping and bearing arms.

Very true, and an important point.

16. symen

symen DragonWolf

That's the price we pay for having a government composed of human beings. There has never been, and never will be, a candidate for any public office who wouldn't do this.

You have to read between the lines on his statement, here. He's saying that he wants to appoint pro-choice judges, just as Republicans say they want to appoint pro-life judges. This particular litmus test that has evolved is about the stupidest criterion I can think of for appointing such an important position, actually. Frankly, it's a crapshoot anyway -- it's a lifetime appointment, so politics fly out the window, and you never know for sure how the judge will turn out. For example, Justices Roberts and Alito are very different (I actually think Roberts is a very good judge), and they were both appointed by the same President.

17. Ground Chuk

Ground Chuk BANNED

Who is the Militia? The Militia is a non government entity. It is every abled American who can wield a firearm. Well-regulated is meant as those who shoot regularly, who practice with their weapons.

Some say it is the National Guard. The National Guard wasn't formed for many years after the Constitution. And it is an entity of the Federal Government. The Founding Fathers would NOT consider them the American Militia.

The Well Regulated Militia are those individual Americans who form a group to protect the citizens against any tyrannical government, and the right of the people to bear arms are those American Individuals who protect themselves and family from those among us who would do us harm.

We don't need a Militia to take down the criminals. We have law-abiding citizens carrying firearms, and the police and lawyers to sort it out.

We have a Well Regulated Militia to protect us from tyrannical governments, those not our own, but also from our own.

The 20,000 gun laws on the books weren't put there by law-abiding American citizens. They were put there by government officials in the form of "We know better, and are here to keep you 'safe'".

The same people who raise our taxes because they need a cost of living raise in their pay.

18. Ground Chuk

Ground Chuk BANNED

If he's willing to state that all semi-autos should be banned, then guns ARE a high priority. He is just keeping that out of his speeches now...and perhaps also because some of the speeches he has "stolen" from others don't mention it.

It is apparently working. He has gotten you to think guns aren't that high of a priority for him.

Remember the Trojan Horse?

19. symen

symen DragonWolf

Well, I have just a couple of statements to go on in relation to guns, compared to many more statements, and actual legislation on other issues, and the statements on guns that I disagree with are from several years ago in the IL Assembly. I looked through what I could find of his legislative record, and as far as I can tell, he's never introduced any gun-control legislation. He's been a legislator for more than a decade, so he's had ample opportunity to do so if he wanted to. This is why I don't think it's very important to him. I agree that he's obviously not the most pro-gun candidate out there, but I fail to see why you seem concerned that Obama is some sort of Manchurian candidate with regard to that specific issue. ;)

Actually, the legislative axe he seems to grind the most is government accountability, which is why I am supporting him, as I believe that this is the most important issue facing us with regard to the Federal government at this point in time, and he's the only candidate left in the pool who has any record of even attempting to do anything about it.

20. Ground Chuk

Ground Chuk BANNED

Why would he need to introduce legislation against guns in Illinois?? They are already anti-gun!! One of the few states that will NOT allow CCW for law-abiding citizens.

As for government accountability...what kind of accountability? Accountability that the government isn't doing enough to "make all citizens safe" from things the government shouldn't be involved in in the first place?

And what "change" is he exactly talking about? The only "change" I see they are looking at is the change in my pocket (which is very little after taxes) that they want to spend, because, "gosh darn it, there are those who don't have change in their pocket"!

I just don't like the Dems because they think "more government" is what we need. Even a lot of Repubs think this way.

I feel we need MUCH LESS government. That's all.